Thursday 7 February 2008

The Lenten Rose and dancing to someone else's tune

These were one of his favourite winter plants and are now filling the garden with their droopy flower heads. Amazingly, there are bees out, diving in and out frenetically trying to gather some pollen. So too, is Pebble out in the sunshine, diving in and out of the plants, following Banjo, then diving back in through the open door whenever an unfamiliar noise erupts.

It's good to feel the warmth of the sun on my back as I take photos and talk to the cats, encouraging Pebble to come further into the garden and explore. A builder shouts and Pebble dashes back indoors.

I go to the new Dance class and try my best to contort my body into the impossible positions the class teacher commands. She demonstrates some peculiar moves while spinning on her back on the floor with her legs over her head and asks us to do the same. I look at a woman next to me who raises her eyes to heaven, we all laugh and get down on the floor just to appease the instructor. What occurred next did not resemble in any way the moves of the instructor. I have not put my body in such positions since attempting a Yoga class years' ago, or since having a very active sex life! She ended the class by reminding us to wear something pink or red next week to celebrate Valentine's day, and that she wanted to do some even more complex moves along the same theme as tonights. Hmmm, I think I shall give it a miss and try a different class next week, one that doesn't require me to stare at my own backside with one leg over my shoulder and spin like a demented character out of a horror movie.

I'd like to try something a little less complex and contortionalist. Like the Lenten Rose, I prefer to move according to my mood and the weather, not to an ex-dancer's need to show off. Hence my love of swimming... to my own tune.

No comments: