Thursday 16 July 2009

A Day out for an EGG

It seems we group of ex-green gymmers now have the name 'EGGS'... a good bunch... good eggs... adventurous and game for anything!

Yesterday, we went to Broughton Castle in north Oxfordshire. It being one of the few ancestral homes that still remains in the hands of the original family... Sele and Sayte. It had a really good, still lived-in feel about it, having escaped the trappings of that wonderful organisation; The National Trust.

Pictures of Oliver Cromwell adorned the walls, as did pictures of Queen Ann and others. Although the family sided with Cromwell, they quickly accepted the return of Charles II (as one would in difficult times). Original plated armour, leather buckets, swords, pikes and artefacts adorn the Castle and as I gazed out of this window before taking the picture, I could imagine the Cromwellian soldiers riding down the green sloping pasture land towards the Castle. I really wish, (along with thousands of others) that I could be an invisible time traveller. Ah... if only I could afford to enrol on an archaeology course! I just love digging in the dirt!

One of our team didn't come with us... she had been in contact with someone with Swine Flu and was beginning to develop symptoms...

I think I really must get my Will sorted!

2 comments:

Bernard said...

I too prefer that "lived in" feel.
I am in the NT but their houses are always "too good to be true."
Two "lived in" houses your group might like (and I would recommend) if it's not too far for you, are...

http://www.dorneycourt.co.uk/
near Windsor and

http://www.cheniesmanorhouse.co.uk/
other side of Amersham.

Hogdayafternoon said...

Every now and then we seem to need an Oliver Cromwell type. He'd probably be ok with my leather gear but I suspect my Levi's would have to go ;)